Wednesday 3 February 2010

Mersey Gateway; meeting in Westminster

Earlier this week, I met Shadow Transport Minister, Stephen Hammond MP, to brief him on the Mersey Gateway Project.

I reiterated my support for the project and provided Stephen with a full briefing on the project’s transport and regeneration opportunities for Halton and the surrounding area.

During the discussion I said: “The Mersey Gateway project is a vitally important transport and regeneration project for my constituency and the North West region. It will help alleviate traffic congestion, support local businesses to be more competitive, act as a catalyst for regeneration throughout the area, and create new jobs. This much-needed and long over-due development is welcomed by local people and those across the political spectrum.”

I explained to Stephen that this is more than a bridge; it has the potential to be a catalyst that will connect communities and lead regeneration and investment throughout Halton and the North West.

I am upbeat about our discussions and delighted that Stephen took the time to hear about this vital project for the people of Halton. Following the briefing Stephen said; “It was extremely helpful to discuss this important project in detail with Ben; I am looking forward to reading the report of the public inquiry and the next Conservative Government considering how best to take the project forward.”

No comments: