Thursday, 26 March 2009
Following our meeting I wrote to the Planning Inspectorate supporting the decision made by St Helens Council to reject the planning application in relation to the quarry, and have been in contact with the local press and made the following comment:
"I fully support the Bold Action Group in their continued campaign against plans to covert the Bold Heath Quarry into a landfill scheme. I met with local residents at the site last week and saw for myself the serious dangers the increased traffic and polluting dust would create in the area.
In January, St Helens Council rightly rejected the planning application in order to protect the health and safety of local residents. This decision should now be upheld by the Planning Inspectorate. I have written to the Inspectorate to support the case put by the residents and call upon all local people to do the same. The Inspectorate should now put the health and safety of residents first."
Wednesday, 25 March 2009
MP's expenses have been in the news again this week and the conduct of some MPs have attracted further deserved criticism. I want to take this opportunity to set out my pledge on expenses and allowances to the people of Halton.
If I were to become the MP for Halton I would:
- Be completely open about all of my expenses and allowances, publishing full details every year
- Only claim expenses for costs I have incurred in doing my job as an MP (e.g. travel costs and office allowances)
- Provide receipts for all my expense claims
- Not employ members of my family
- Only claim expenses in relation to a second home where they were genuinely incurred, not because I was "entitled" to them
The voters of Halton have a right to know how I would behave as their MP, and they have a right to know how all MPs are spending their money. I pledge complete openness with them on my expenses and allowances; it's the least they deserve as I would work for them.
Sunday, 22 March 2009
Sunday, 15 March 2009
- Cut the number of senior managers
- Root out waste in every council department
- Slash payments to councillors
- Reduce council tax for the first time in years
We will continue to speak up for the people of Halton on this and other issues. We believe it's time to put local people first.