Saturday 28 November 2009

Liverpool Hope Radio; The Lisbon Treaty

Yesterday, I did a live interview on Liverpool Hope Radio to talk about The Lisbon Treaty. The programme had interviewed local Labour MP Jane Kennedy and UKIP MEP Paul Nutall, and asked me to provide a Conservative Party perspective.

I reminded listeners of the betrayal Gordon Brown and the Labour Party had committed in refusing the give the British people the referendum it had promised in it's 2005 manifesto. I also reiterated the Conservative Party's commitment to our continued membership of, and support for, the European Union, but emphasised that we want to an open, flexible Europe, which serves the people not the other way round. I also reminded listeners of David Cameron's commitment to change the law so that never again would a government be able to agree to a Treaty that hands over areas of power from Britain to the EU without a referendum.

No comments: