Wednesday 25 March 2009

My expenses pledge to the people of Halton

MP's expenses have been in the news again this week and the conduct of some MPs have attracted further deserved criticism. I want to take this opportunity to set out my pledge on expenses and allowances to the people of Halton.

If I were to become the MP for Halton I would:

  • Be completely open about all of my expenses and allowances, publishing full details every year
  • Only claim expenses for costs I have incurred in doing my job as an MP (e.g. travel costs and office allowances)
  • Provide receipts for all my expense claims
  • Not employ members of my family
  • Only claim expenses in relation to a second home where they were genuinely incurred, not because I was "entitled" to them

The voters of Halton have a right to know how I would behave as their MP, and they have a right to know how all MPs are spending their money. I pledge complete openness with them on my expenses and allowances; it's the least they deserve as I would work for them.

No comments: